Friday, November 07, 2008

That Which Remains

This bowl was overflowing with candy the day after Halloween.



We're a tiny Sheriff's Office, and kids have come by during Trick or Treating ever since I've been around. So we always have tons of candy for October 31st, and lots of "leftovers" after.

The first to go in those heady days in very early November are the chocolatey and peanutbuttery things; the Reeses, Kit Kat, Snickers... you get the drift. Also popular for those moments when you can't even look at the chocolate without suffering involuntary uvula twitches are the gummy sorts of candies such as the Dots and Twizzlers.

But eventually all the "good stuff" is gone. At that stage, the office scrounge is left looking at what you see here.

Tootsie rolls and pops.

Oh, they're not bad. In a way I feel sorry for them, just like I did for the chubby kid when we were picking kickball teams, or as I felt for myself during "girls' choice" dances of my early teen years when I was sprouting my most spectacular acne.

But it's easier to pass by the bowl now without feeling those pangs I felt just a few days ago.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Well you've gotta have some sugar to power your new superhero look. Oh - and my sis says dont forget to wear the undies outside the pants. That'll complete the look.

November 7, 2008 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Mark Lee said...

I love watching kindergarteners and first graders at school emerge proudly from the boys' room after having carefully tucked their shirts into their underwear which, of course, rise up above the pant level and inch or two.

I want that look.

November 8, 2008 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Just SO said...

That looks much like what is left over here.

Except for the bag of snickers and bag of milky ways that I bought at the after Halloween sales and I have hidden away in the upper cupboards.

November 8, 2008 at 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh I am totally laughing about feeling sorry for them. ahhhhh

I felt the same way when I tossed the sticky candy that my braces kids can't eat... I wanted to hold a wake first. LOL

November 8, 2008 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Ha. The last few straggling candies compared to fat kid not being picked in gym class!

I always ate the tootsie stuff, but left the other undesirables: the apples, the loosies (candy corn and generic hard candy), and the worst of them all- individual cookies whose benefactors didn't even have the decency to wrap them up in a little baggie or something. The were just tossed into my open sack by indifferent adults, left there to just crumble away at the bottom.

Who the hell would give that stuff to kids?

November 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tag, you R it! I know you have finals, but take a break :O)

November 17, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home