Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Teaching, Shaping, Equipping, and Synthesis

I had a chance yesterday (and will again next week) with my buddy the local Highway Patrol officer to sit with our local kids all day, session after session, and teach them about a very narrow aspect of public safety, the local 911 system.



These kids are smart. They largely accept most of the things we tell them, but there are a few little skeptics and questioners out there. I must confess a certain special affection for those who want to know a little more or who are prepared with some sort of sensible (by juvenile standards) challenge to something I've got to share. Maybe it's because I've had a few of those kids in my own family. Maybe it's because my best relationships have involved somewhat contrasting views on some issues. The woman with whom I plan on spending the rest of my life and I talk for hours, and I learn the most when I'm required to articulate my position in the context of her intelligent examination.

We're not brainwashing anyone in these classes, and our future looks bright when I see these smart little stinkers smiling back at me. Especially when I see the edges of a question form on a face, a question that links something given with something already possessed.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Just SO said...

I bet the kids love having you come and visit. Kids that question...smart kids.

And I love that you and your lady have such great discussions. That's a talent I need to work on.

November 19, 2008 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

You are inspiring the next generation of law enforcement and other public service employees! Looks like the world will be okay after all with bright kiddos like that! :)

November 19, 2008 at 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool! glad they are asking... that is what I love having my kids do, ask questions, get to really decide for themselves, etc.

and I am so glad you are in love :)

November 19, 2008 at 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok great you emphasize the kids . . but what about that outstanding photo of the local fire dept. personel that was taken.

November 19, 2008 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Mark,

You wrote: "Especially when I see the edges of a question form on a face, a question that links something given with something already possessed."

That, my friend, is the sure hallmark of learning. In EduSpeak, we call that "making connections". It's the result of a lesson taught in a way that the students can understand and connect their prior knowledge and experience to.

Nicely done.

November 24, 2008 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger Thrive In Hickville said...

Hey there, Mr. Mark!! :)

Good blog...just been reading and catching up on your life. Been a bit out of the loop lately myself. Glad to see you're still around and doing well! :)

November 26, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home